Tuesday, September 14

Back to school

I'm here to admit I'm sad to say that Thursday will mark all four kids back in school.  Anyone that knows me knows that I'm an easy crier as it is, but when the kids have their supplies packed and their new clothes on I'm a big cry baby!  Time is just flying by too quickly.

Tommy & Liam got a late start with the Ferndale strike, but the teachers unanimously voted to accept the offer and preschool will start on Thursday, we love our teachers.  Hannah is a junior this year splitting her time between Sehome HS and WCC in running start.  Nate is a sophmore and is starting to enjoy attending his first year at Exporations which is a small independent school and has already been on a camping trip with and it almost has a homeschool feel to it.  Four very different school schedules to keep track of, plus two cheerleading calendars, google calendar will be busy with our family.

So with kids back in school my attention is turning to volunteering.  The 7th annual Buddy Walk for Down syndrome outreach, is on October 2nd at 11am at the Fairhaven Village Green Park!  Last year I spent some time organizing a piece of this fundraising event, the silent auction.  This year I'll put some more time to this wonderful event that also brings so many beautiful families together.


Next, if you want to "Learn What’s Happening to Strengthen Services for Children and Youth with Special Health Care Needs and their Families in Whatcom County" -- Community Meeting Friday, September 17, 2010 11:30 AM - 3:00 PM Bring Your Lunch Beverages Provided St. Luke’s Community Health Education Center 3333 Squalicum Parkway Bellingham, WA 98227
* Hear from guest speakers from Pope’s Kids Place and Children’s Village, two thriving programs that came about as a result of community efforts in Centralia and Yakima
* Hear updates about progress being made by Whatcom Taking Action for CYSHCN, our own community’s group effort (I've spent not nearly enough volunteer time on, but thoroughly enjoy the direction and focus)
* Have a chance to ask questions of our guests from Children’s Village and Pope’s Kids Place For information about this community meeting, contact Margaret Jahn: mjahn3333@comcast.net
More information on events and comittees that lead to this meeting:

http://www.whatcomcounty.us/health/children/taking_action.jsp

And of course volunteering for the schools when I can.  Usually, because I work, it's more of volunteering on projects that I can do in the evening, or chaperoning a field trip once a year.

Besides volunteering, fall has brought Colin & I to sign up for a back to school class.  We saw the title at Sunday service, "Joy of Marriage" and looked puzzled at each other.  What?  Joy?  Granted we have plenty of joy in our marriage but often it's also stressed and pulled and reprioritized and forgotten.  Go ahead, laugh at us.  Our first small group meeting is this Friday and I'll let you know how the class goes and if we get a little more "joy" put back in our hearts.  God has great plans for us as a couple.  I know this.  Colin knows this.  I'm thinking this might become a class PLUS date night.  We deserve it!

Tommy Adventures